My assurance to you
(Code of Conduct)
- Do no harm. This is the ethical principle that has guided medical professionals for centuries. It is also at the heart of what I do.
- I will combine positive reinforcement training techniques with an understanding of natural dog behaviour to educate owners. My aim is to achieve, as far as possible, well-socialised, well balanced dogs and good citizens on both ends of the lead.
- I will always use respectful, kind and scientific methods. I will never use techniques or equipment that cause pain, instil fear or intimidation, or indeed anything you are not comfortable with.
- I will conduct myself in a professional manner and will always be honest, open and trustworthy in my dealings with you.
- My aim, at all times, is to empathize and be sensitive to the needs of dog and owner.
- I will continue to develop my skills and knowledge by keeping myself up-to-date with advances in the field of canine behaviour, enabling me to benefit my clients.
- When designing training and behaviour modification programmes, I will take into account the well being of my client and the individual dog.
- My goal is to give satisfaction with my services. However, I am unable to promise specific outcomes or results.
- I should recognise my own professional limitations, be open and honest with clients and where necessary refer clients to another practitioner.
- I will respect the Data Protection Act and the privacy of my clients; I will not disclose any information pertaining to my clients or their dog, without their written permission.
- I will respect the opinions of other canine professionals, whose approach may be different from my own. I will not publicly criticise their conduct, methods or opinions unless the conduct, methods or opinions could be considered abuse.
- I will maintain a professional relationship with my clients. I will not exploit such relationships for improper personal, professional or financial gain, nor seek inappropriately to impose my own values on clients.
- When conducting my work, I will at all times consider the health and safety of myself, my client and the welfare of their dog. I will also consider my health and safety responsibilities to the general public and maintain a valid public liability and professional indemnity insurance policy.
- This code of conduct is a living document and will be developed to reflect changing training methods.